Teams: Meatworks, Towns, Saints, Bidyadanga, Derby, Roos, Beagle Bay

Saints remained undefeated for the season going into the finals. They earned top spot with some impressive displays of football. They absolutely destroyed most sides however Meaties got to within one point in the first round. Their mobile running players led by Captain Pious Gregory and Wayne Edgar gave them plenty of bite whilst a steady back line marshalled by Hutchinson and Pungana proved hard to overcome. However after leading by 26 points at 3/4 time and kicking with the wind in the last quarter of the second Semi, they went down to Towns by 4 points. A loss by 5 points in the Preliminary Final repeated similar loses in both finals of the previous year.

Towns eventually emerged triumphant in the Grand Final defeating Beagle Bay by 20 points. The finals score 16.3 to 12.7 indicates the closeness of the game, both sides having an equal amount of scoring shots. Although the scores were close during the game, Towns managed to keep a few goals in front most of the day. an initial three goal burst in the first quarter, (started by Town captain Mark James) kept the Beagle Bay effort at arms length.

League umpire Ron Buckey flew up to officiate and was joined by local umpire James Dann and they kept the game flowing smoothly. It was a fitting reward for James Dann to get the big game as his efforts all year have been superb and one hopes that other potential umpires will be encouraged to take up a whistle.

Towns captain, Mark James, received the nod from the umpires as best on the ground. Other good players for Towns were Harold Tracey who was strong up forward and Viv Hunter, who proved that size is no obstacle. Paul Cocking persisted for four quarters. Bleed was damaging all day and Michael Martin roved well all day.

For Beagle Bay, the Cox boys Eddie and Terry, played great games, Terry kicking sex goals and Eddie using his pace on the wing to advantage. Terry has recently signed with Claremont and Graham Moss would have been pleased with the incredible marking prowess he displayed. Towns tried a variety of players on him but he was too strong in the air. The older brigade were not left out and Alec Dann, Ronnie Corpus and Albert Cox were all prominent, as was Nicky Williams in the back pocket.

In the preceding finals Beagle Bay defeated Meaties easily in the First Semi and Towns rolled Saints in the last quarter to wins by four points in the Second Semi. The long finger of fate pointed Saints was again in the Preliminary Final where Beagle Bay triumphed by five points. Saints probably can feel hard cone by, finishing the year undefeated at the top of the table, but of such things is the game made.

Graham Moss expressed interest in four Broome players: Wayne Edgar, Pius Gregory (Saints), Paul Cocking (Towns) and Terry Cox (Beagle Bay).