The much needed injection that Fr McMahon gave football in Broome was akin to the huge impact that the inception of TV made in the early 80's.

However, growth and change were gradual, as singlets and sand shoes were still used and training was never seriously considered. Although the goal ends were switched so that teams kicked either to the Commonwealth Bank or the High School, the oval remained a nightmare. Not only was there an uncovered cricket pitch to negotiate, but there were further hazards such as the large ghost gum on the wing, near the present library, and the verandah post of the old hall, which was actually situated on the boundary line and threatened to 'wipe out' anyone who became monetarily distracted during the game.

'The Institute' or 'Roads Board Hall' facing Barker St.  The verandah on the other side was used as the Grand stand for football.

The Institute in the 1960's near the site of the former Shire Offices

Similarly, the surface contained the remnants of ant beds while only the tops were slashed from the buffalo grass which seemed to ruin singlets more so than the opposition tackles.

Mr Mac, a great exponent of the stab pass, was often seen clasping his foot after coming to grief on one of the clumps.

The Association was formed under the guidance of Kevin Bullen for three years and subsequently Fr Mac together with such helpers as John Cox, Don McKenzie, Phil Matsumoto, 'Snowy' County, Phil Grantham and John Pedley. Prisons, wearing the Swans colours of white and red became the fourth team making a viable competition possible.

Towns, still under the leadership of Don Gibbs, again took off the Premiership in 1969 which inspired Don Entwhistle (alias 'Billy Bunter') captain coach of Meatworks, to embark on a recruiting drive of locals that ensnared the services of Leonard Sampi, Wally Wilson, Bobby Taylor and Peter Tolman who later played in Adelaide. This move paid dividends as Meaties won the flag.

With the closure of the Governor Broome Hotel, they celebrated at the Roebuck with a special extension of 1 hour from the usual time the kegs were shut off at 6 o'clock.