The first aeroplane to have arrived in Broome landed on Christmas Eve on 1921, followed by the famous aviator, Kingsford Smith, a few weeks later, but unfortunately he was a victim of dengue fever.

(Photo: courtesy of the Broome Museum)

POSSUM WARD with two of his scantily-clad barmaids outside the Roebuck Hotel in 1922.

Although the sports carnival held on 7 January 1922 was a huge success, the Athletic Club, which had been running for some years decided to amalgamate with the newly formed Broome Football Club, electing Captain A C Gregory to the Presidential chair. The opening game of the second season played that May, saw North (attired in brown), defeat South in their royal blue uniforms, (11. 8. 74 to 8. 6. 54), continuing where they had left off after the Premiership. However, shortly after, North began to fall apart losing by 22 points the following week, with a lot of the blame weighing on the umpire.

From the Nor West Echo . . . .
"The criticism of the umpire's decisions, which were numerous both from players and spectators alike, were uncalled for. I am of the opinion that the fairness of Mr Gill is unquestionable."

By June, however, North's men were being called "conspicuously useless" whilst others, such as Townsend were "disabled for the season," adding to their woes.

Both teams combined in August to defeat the visiting personnel from the HMAS Geranium 10.10.70 to 7.5.47. (Goal kickers: - Price 6, Smith 3, McGuckin 1) later playing a scoreless draw in the first soccer game seen in Broome "marred by a badly shaped ball and uneven ground."

Both teams combined in August to defeat the visiting personnel from the HMAS Geranium

(Weld St. to the right shows the teacher's house.  The house in the centre to the left of the tree is still there today with a modern extension attached.  It was built in 1911 and next to it on the left is the kitchen.  Behind the house were stables and a well.  The goals are East/West)

By the close of the season, South had won 7 matches, North 4 and one draw. The first quarter of the Grand Final was even but the rest of the game resulted in "mere goal kicking practice for South" who were outright winners by 63 points, 13.13 to 3.10.

The verandah of the Mechanics Institute looked directly south to the football ground on which the present library and Council chambers stand.  The goals on the ground were at the eastern and western end.  I believe the gum trees at the back are still there today  - (to the right of the photo are the gums at the Commonwealth Bank.